Dandelion is my favorite green, and lucky for me, it’s in season right now! Beautiful and lushes, Dandelion has excellent health properties and is versatile enough to use in a variety of ways. To make sure your getting the highest quality with all the medicinal properties, look for it at your local farmers market.
Its scientific name, Taraxamcum, is derived from 2 Greek words meaning disorder and remedy. So you can assume by the name how healing it truly is!
Dandelion has been used since Ancient Greek times as a cleansing and diuretic medicine. Like many other plants, the leaves and root are the most medicinal. Although, because of it’s strong diuretic properties, it is not recommended for individuals with severe kidney conditions.
Here are simple ways to get Dandelion into your diet, as well as remedy specific issues:
1. RAW- Don’t make it complicated. The easiest way to consume Dandelion is to treat it like any other green and add the leaves to salads. It’s delicious and gives a nice pungent bitter taste that compliment other greens. Pair with a chopped shallot and chives. If you’re new to Dandelion, make the ratio higher in romaine, spinach, chard or other greens your palette is already use to and work up to adding more Dandelion.
2. Blood Sugar Control– Are you diabetic or just struggling with blood sugar issues? Dandelion root contains inulin, which helps the pancreas to control blood-sugar levels.
3. Digestion– Dandelion is a bitter tonic and is most commonly used for digestive ailments. Look for root extracts in the store that can help to stimulate Hydrochloric acid, and therefore appetite. Because of it’s ability to support HCL production, it helps in the breakdown of protein and rich foods.
4. Juicing!– Dandelion is well know for its liver cleansing properties. Juicing Dandelion is an effective way to give your liver some immediate TLC.
5. Coffee Substitute– Dried, roasted and ground dandelion roots make a caffeine- free coffee substitute! If you’re adventurous you can try making it at home, or if you prefer to purchase it, Dandy Blend is a surprisingly yummy and satisfying coffee substitute made with dandelion root! Pairs perfect with raw milk, or my personal favorite, coconut milk. Add some raw cocoa powder and you have a healthy guilt free mocha!
Stop by the Wise Roots Facebook Page for more tips and ideas or share below!