I was recently featured on News 10 Sacramento speaking about digestion support, as well as demonstrating how to make Kombucha. I have received many inquires since the show aired asking for the recipe and where to purchase a SCOBY.
This is a quick Resource Guide for beginners on how to get started making Kombucha.
Kombucha Mama is where I purchased my original SCOBY over 2 years ago and still recommend it to others. Kombucha Mama is a wonderful source that produces organically grown authentic Kombucha Starter Cultures. Whether your just beginning to make your first brew, or have been doing it for years, everything and anything you could possibly want or need for your SCOBY and Kombucha making is here! Listed below are links to useful articles and information regarding Kombucha.
- Complete Beginners Kit
- Tea for Making Kombucha
- 5 Uses for Kombucha Vinegar
- How Heat Effects Kombucha
- Kombucha for PETS!
- Kombucha Health Benefits
Kombucha Tea Recipe – 1-Gallon-
1 cup sugar
4-6 bags tea – for loose leaf, 1 bag of tea = 1 tsp
Kombucha Starter Culture – SCOBY
1 cup starter liquid
1. Boil 4 cups of water. Add hot water & tea bags to pot or brewing vessel. Steep 5-7 minutes, then remove tea bags.
2. Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
3. Fill vessel most of the way with purified water, leaving just 1-2 inches from the top for breathing room with purified cold water.
4. Add SCOBY and starter liquid.
5. Cover with cloth cover and secure with the rubber band.
6. Say a prayer, send good vibes, commune with your culture (optional but recommended).
7. Set in a warm location out of direct sunlight (unless vessel is opaque).
Do not disturb for 7 days. After 7 days, or when you are ready to taste your KT, gently insert a straw beneath the SCOBY and take a sip. If too tart, then reduce your brewing cycle next time. If too sweet, allow to brew for a few more days. Continue to taste every day or so until you reach your optimum flavor preference. Your own Kombucha Tea Recipe may vary. Decant & flavor (optional).
Drink as desired! Start off with 4-8oz on an empty stomach in the morning, then with meals to help with digestion or as your body tells you it would like some more! Drink plenty of water as it is a natural detoxifier and you want to flush the newly released toxins out.